- Quality: At the start we looked at where animals originally nest. These are in 200+ year old trees which have hollows that have developed over time. At natsync.com.au we believe in providing homes that have a great form of longevity. This means constructing the boxes with special non-standard materials. For a start we don’t use nails. The boxes would fall apart in 12 months. We are concerned with the welfare of our beautiful animals and don’t think it’s in their interests in providing homes that fall apart quickly. All our fasteners are high quality stainless steel. Screws rusting and failing…No way. What about the type of glue we use? Industrial strength liquid nails is our answer. This is better than others who use standard PVA woodworking glue. Also to increase our strength on the box corners “biscuit type ” wafers are inserted into the timber. These swell and ‘weld’ together the timber. Some say it’s over engineering, we like to think it’s built to last. And what about the thickness of the walls. Well, we use 18mm external grade plywood. This timber comes from pine plantations not hardwood forests.
- Factory Materials: Look carefully at our roof. Yes, covered with steel. Being subjected to our harsh Australian conditions a wooden roof quickly rots and breaks apart. Many of the nest box components are custom made in a sheet metal factory.
- Design: Every part of our boxes have been carefully designed with care and thought. Check out the floor. Note the way the rain washes down the walls and immediately off the box. Some nest box builders just attach a floor straight onto the bottom. Easy to do but the water enters the wood fibres and it starts to rot. Who cares…we do. What about the person who wants to install their own box. Easy with ours.
At the rear we have a hole that is in the form of a key shape in a 3mm steel bracket. This allows you to hang the box quickly without falling off a ladder while doing a balancing act of holding a box and yourself up there all at the same time. Waterproof???you bet…. Have a look at the overhanging roof which prevents water from entering the box. Animals like warm dry conditions just like us. Ever had a good look at the colour?? Notice it is gun metal grey. This is the colour the military use to blend their weapons of war into it’s surroundings. Well, we use the same. Our boxes soak into the trees so good that it’s difficult to see them. This is to make it less obvious that there is a artificial home hanging there.
- Uniqueness: Each box is quite unique. The hollow log on the front is never the same as the next one. Each has it’s own character and flavour.
- Feral Threats: As many people know here in Australia the introduced European honey bee invades tree hollows and nest boxes. They sting and kill the inhabitants then take over filling the cavities with their honeycomb. Our company is constantly researching ways to prevent them from entering the boxes. Finally, we are at a stage where we can prevent 95% of these attacks. Our special design deters the bees making the boxes less attractive. There is no chemicals involved, totally safe for the animals. When you look at other boxes why don’t you ask what they are doing to stop the bees.